In-Memory OLTP Simulator enables the IT Professional and Developer to easily test the powerful In-Memory OLTP Engine of SQL Server 2014® (or later) with different simulations and against different workloads. In the Ultimate Edition of the tool, among other, the user can load data from different sources (i.e. from Production DBMS instances using Linked Servers) into the Simulator’s database and simulate real-life scenarios with the use of custom scenarios as well as get in-depth analytics on performance when utilizing Memory-Optimized Tables and Natively-Compiled Stored Procedures in SQL Server®. In addition to using In-Memory OLTP Simulator for benchmarking and performance analysis, the user can also use it for resource-sizing as it provides real-time statistics on resource usage (i.e. CPU and Memory) when running simulations.
How Does it Work?
The Community Edition (free) of In-Memory OLTP Simulator supports six standard scenarios that are executed against three modes (where available):
- Disk-Based: All tables are stored in disk storage.
- Memory-Optimized: All or selected tables are loaded and processed in memory.
- Memory-Optimized with Natively-Compiled Stored Procedure: All tables are loaded and processed in memory with the use of a natively-compiled stored procedure.
In-Memory OLTP Simulator undertakes the execution of the scenarios in each mode, monitors the resource usage, logs all statistics and provides rich analytics. Additionally, in the Ultimate Edition of the tool, the user is able to create/modify and import/export custom scenarios as well as get access to multiple processing options and more analytics.
There are currently two editions of In-Memory OLTP Simulator available:
- Community Edition: This is the free version of the tool where basic functionality is enabled.
- Ultimate Edition: This edition contains all the basic functionality plus the ability to create/modify and import/export custom scenarios as well as have access to more analytics. The Ultimate Edition of In-Memory OLTP Simulator can be very useful for organizations or individuals that want to create custom scenarios and simulate real Production data and processes with using In-Memory Optimization in SQL Server®.
For the full list of features available in each Edition of In-Memory OLTP Simulator, please visit the "Features" section on this web page.
New: Download the In-Memory OLTP Simulator 38-Page Technical Article and see how with a simple simulation of an UPDATE operation on a 5M record table against SQL Server's In-Memory OLTP Engine, a speedup of 26x was achieved!
Also, you can download the Datasheet here for a summary of what In-Memory OLTP Simulator does.